Champagne tasting in Epernay is certainly the favourite activity of all those who visit our beautiful Champagne region in France. We completely understand why, we too, love the little bubbles!
The first idea that comes to mind is, of course, to go for a tasting at one of the grand Champagne houses of the region. There is no shortage of great brands, and it is, of course, an essential visit when touring Champagne, especially to visit and tour the fabulous wine cellars in Epernay!
But there are other possibilities when looking to enjoy an excellent Champagne tasting in Epernay! In this article, we wanted to tell you about the different experiences you can have tasting wine in the region of Epernay in Champagne, France.
Champagne tasting and tours at an independent winegrower in and around Epernay
Tasting champagne at an independent winegrower is, for us, one of the most enjoyable and interesting experiences in this wine region. First of all, it is an opportunity to meet people who are passionate about their work in the vineyards. While in a big Champagne house, you will have to deal with a sommelier, by choosing to do a wine tasting at an independent winemaker’s, you will be in direct contact with those who work the vine and make their wine.
Secondly, tasting at an independent winemaker’s often allows you to discover a wide range of different champagnes. As with red wine, each winemaker creates different cuvées, and it is very interesting to be able to taste the specificities of each Champagne made on the same terroir.
Finally, the independent winemakers offer different types of tours and tastings: you can book a tasting that includes a visit and tour of the vineyard, explanations about the work of the vine, the winemaking process, lunch etc. .
Other winemakers offer terrace tastings or indoor tastings with a simple tasting of several different wines, accompanied by explanations about the champagne and the possibility of chatting with the vineyard family and friends. The perfect champagne tasting day!
I’m delighted to share with you a selection of some remarkable champagne producers in Epernay and its surroundings, where I had the pleasure of visiting and tasting.
- Champagne Joseph Desruets in Hautvillers
- Champagne Julien Chopin in Monthelon
- Champagne Pierre Leboeuf in Ay-Champagne
- Champagne Doyard Mahé in Vertus
- Champagne Collard Milesi at Clos Corbier in Mareuil-sur-Ay
- Champagne Jean Milan in Oger
- Champagne Blaise Lourdez in Damery
- Champagne Le Gallais in Boursault
- Champagne Jacquinot in Epernay
- Champagne Charles Mignon in Epernay
- Champagne Pierre Mignon in Epernay
These are just a few examples of the incredible diversity and quality that you can find when indulging in champagne tasting in Epernay. Each house has its unique story and flavors, making every visit a new discovery.
Tasting Experience in a famous Champagne house in Epernay
As we explained in the introduction, the great Champagne houses are part of the must-see visits of a stay in Champagne. We are talking about world-famous French names, Pommery, Moët & Chandon, etc, for an unforgettable tasting experience.
You will see by looking at their websites that the big Champagne houses offer different types of visits and tours (day, private, group etc.) with tastings. Prices vary depending on the type of tour (historical cellar tour, historical explanations, with food, etc.), the number of glasses of champagne and the range of wines offered.
If you choose the basic tours, which are the cheapest, don’t expect the big game at the wine tasting. You will be asked to taste a standard glass of the brand’s champagne with explanations from the sommelier. To taste different wines, you will often have to choose the most expensive tours.
You can also opt for a champagne tasting in Epernay without necessarily visiting the cellars. Although each cellar has its unique charm, the explanations about the champagne-making process are generally similar. I suggest you make a reservation.
Here are the champagne tasting experiences from the famous houses in Epernay:
Champagne Moët & Chandon
- This world-renowned house offers an unforgettable experience. Located at the majestic entrance of the Avenue de Champagne, it offers captivating guided tours of its historic cellars, followed by champagne tastings, or simply the opportunity to browse its elegant boutique and taste its iconic cuvées.
- Book your Moët & Chandon tasting here
- A family house that harmoniously combines tradition and modernity. Their guided tours offer a fascinating insight into the family history and champagne making, complemented by tastings of their fine and balanced wines.
- Book your Boizel tasting here
Champagne De Castellane
- Recognizable for its emblematic tower, this house offers enriching tours and an exceptional opportunity to taste their champagne in a historical setting in Epernay.
- Book your De Castellane tasting here
Champagne De Venoge
- Located in the heart of the Avenue de Champagne, Champagne De Venoge offers a friendly tasting space, especially pleasant in summer with its outdoor terrace. Their statue of Louis XV provides a royal setting to toast with their delicious champagne.
- Book your De Venoge tasting here
- Certainly one of the most beautiful places for a Champagne tasting in Epernay. This house stands out for its magnificent terrace on the Avenue de Champagne, offering an idyllic setting for a tasting.
- Book your Perrier-Jouët tasting here
- Located at the end of the Avenue de Champagne, Champagne Mercier is famous for its giant vat in the entrance and offers tours and tastings in Epernay.
- Book your Mercier tasting here
Champagne Alfred Gratien
- A visit to their historic cellars, where thousands of casks rest, is a true journey through time. Their specialty is offering prestige cuvées from the first price of tasting. A must-do!
- Book your Alfred Gratien tasting here
Champagne Leclerc Briant
- Pioneers in the production of organic and biodynamic champagne, Leclerc Briant is also known for its Abyss cuvée, which rests 60 meters deep off the coast of Finistère.
- Book your Leclerc Briant tasting here
And the Champagne Houses in the surrounding areas of Epernay with the distance
Champagne Ayala in Aÿ-Champagne
- Just 5 km from Epernay, this historic champagne house, despite some past difficulties, remains a must-visit destination. Ayala invites you to discover its rich heritage through a captivating tour and one of the most elegant champagne tasting spaces.
- Book your Champagne Ayala tasting here
Champagne Bollinger in Aÿ-Champagne
- The famous James Bond Champagne… Recently, Bollinger has reopened its doors for enriching guided tours. Champagne lovers will have the privilege of tasting their prestigious cuvées, known worldwide for their exceptional quality. A not-to-be-missed experience for 007 fans and champagne connoisseurs.
- Book your Champagne Bollinger tasting here
Champagne Nicolas Feuillate in Chouilly
- This house offers a unique perspective on large-scale champagne production. It’s probably one of the few houses in Epernay that opens its doors to show the industrial side and the machines used in the production process. A fascinating visit for those interested in the technology behind champagne.
- Book your Champagne Nicolas Feuillate tasting here
Champagne Gaston Chiquet in Dizy
- Located on the road leading to Hautvillers, the famous village where Dom Perignon rests, this house offers a modern tasting space. It’s a perfect stop for those looking to combine history and innovation in their champagne tasting in Epernay.
- Book your Champagne Gaston Chiquet tasting here
Champagne Henri Giraud in Aÿ-Champagne
- Known for its superb tasting space and exquisite cuvées, Henri Giraud also offers a remarkable culinary experience with exceptional food and wine pairings. A complete gastronomic experience, ideal for lovers of finesse and elegance in their champagne.
- Book your Champagne Henri Giraud tasting here
Champagne tasting with a tour guide around Epernay
This is another very nice option to experience a Champagne tasting in a different way. If you want to combine the discovery of the vineyards with wine tasting, then a short visit with a private guide is one of the more interesting tasting experiences.
There are many “oenotours” organised by tourist guides in the wine region. This is an opportunity to be accompanied by a connoisseur of the area, who will tell you about the history of the Champagne region and the great houses, share his anecdotes with you and end the visit with a tasting of Champagne in the middle of the vines at a vineyard.
Depending on the guides and the tour “options” chosen, it is possible to have wines tastings from several houses, with different grape varieties, tastes, degrees of liquor, etc. Make sure you get the correct tour information before choosing your activities and experiences, whether a group or private tour.
To enrich your experience, here are some options that I have personally tried and warmly recommend:
- Vintage Van Tour: A journey back in time, combining style and tradition, ideal for exploring the vineyard in a chic and relaxed manner.
- Electric Mehari Vineyard Discovery: An eco-friendly and fun experience, perfect for admiring the Champagne landscapes while respecting the environment.
- Vineyard tour in a bus with a rooftop: A unique way to view the vineyards from a different angle, with breathtaking panoramic views.
- Electric Bike Vineyard Tour with a Guide Followed by a Champagne Lunch: Perfect for outdoor enthusiasts, this option combines physical exercise with culinary and oenological discovery of the region.
These activities offer a fantastic way to immerse yourself in the beauty and culture of the Champagne region. Whether you prefer a leisurely drive through the vineyards, an eco-friendly electric tour, or an active bike ride, there’s something for everyone to enjoy while exploring the stunning landscapes and learning about the rich history of champagne production.
Tasting in a Champagne bar
A Champagne bar? Yes, yes! That’s what we call the wine shops here, which specialise in Champagne and offer tastings to visiting customers.
Here are two of my favorites: Bar Brut and Le Munificence. In these bars, you will have a great time and it’s one of the best ways to savor different champagnes from several winemakers in one place.
Not only will you have the opportunity to taste a variety of cuvées, but you will also benefit from detailed explanations and personalized recommendations.
- Bar Brut in Epernay: Located on the Avenue de Champagne, Bar Brut offers an authentic experience. In this bar, you can relax indoors or on the terrace while tasting champagnes mainly from biodynamic and organic winemakers. It’s the perfect place to discover unique cuvées and share a convivial moment.
- Le Munificence in Chouilly: Just 10 minutes from Epernay, Le Munificence was a discovery of the summer of 2023. This bar specializes in champagnes from the winemakers of Chouilly. You will appreciate the elegant atmosphere, a warm welcome, and above all, the opportunity to buy champagne at the producer’s price.
To explore other fabulous places to have a drink in Epernay, don’t hesitate to check out this complete article: My Favorite Places to Have a Drink in Epernay. You will find a variety of bars and champagne lounges suited to all your desires.
Our private flats in Epernay
As we explained in our article on where to stay when visiting the Champagne region, Epernay is for us the ideal city to discover this beautiful French region and nearby towns like Reims. It is both a small town where you can do everything on foot and very central to all the major tourist sites of the Champagne region. It is also located not far from key locations like Reims and Paris.
Come visit us and take advantage of our advice on tours and tastings to discover the best of the Champagne region!
Where to sleep in Epernay ?
Start Planning Now!
Check out my cozy apartments in the city’s heart for a home-like experience. For more options, explore Epernay’s diverse accommodations. Book soon to secure your ideal stay!”
This article contains affiliate marketing: this means that I get a small commission on the Booking links.
This allows the blog to live (translation, etc.) however it does not increase the price for you.